Panic in Sydney as man stabbed in ‘random attack’ on George St

0
646

There was chaos in Sydney early this morning after a man was stabbed walking through the city in what police believe was a random attack.

Police blocked off George St near Liverpool St just after 3am amid fears a knifeman was on the loose.

A man was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital with a suspected stab wound and was reportedly in a stable condition this morning.

Dramatic pictures show the street cordoned off with police tape as paramedics tend to the victim, whose age is not yet known.

Eight people were charged with various offences during New Year’s celebrations, including assault police, resist police, assault and offensive behaviour.

The strong winds meant officers from Marina Area Command had a busy evening on the harbour, assisting several groups out on the water, including an overturned vessel at Taylors Bay. Four people were pulled from the water and taken to safety.

Assistant Commissioner Mick Willing said police responded to several minor incidents throughout Operation New Year’s Eve 2019; however, on the whole were pleased with the attitude and behaviour from members of the public.

“Sydney’s New Year’s Eve celebrations are widely considered among the best in the world, so it was great to see everyone in the city last night living up to that reputation and acting responsibly,” Mr Willing said.

“The fact that there were only a few reports of alcohol-related violence is a true reflection of how well behaved the crowds were.

“Some vantage points were at capacity by the afternoon, and despite some initial difficult weather conditions, Sydney, as usual, brought in the New Year in spectacular fashion.

“For those continuing celebrations into the morning, our officers will maintain a highly visible presence across the state to ensure all revellers make it home safely.”

Meanwhile, a man is recovering in hospital after he was shot in a suspected carjacking in the southern Sydney suburb of Riverwood.

Police were called to a property in Jindalee Place at about 5.30pm following reports of gunfire.

Officers from Campsie Police Area Command found a 26-year-old man with a bullet wound to the leg.

Police have been told a stolen Mercedes Benz had been travelling on the M5 and was involved in a collision with an Audi on the Belmore Road off-ramp.

The vehicle failed to stop, drove through a fence and into Rotary Park where the two occupants fled on foot, chased by witnesses.

The pair approached a Kia Rio parked in nearby Jindalee Place and threatened the driver with a firearm.

The man refused to get out and was shot in the leg before being pushed out of the vehicle. The man and woman then drove off.

The injured man was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics and taken to St George Hospital in a stable condition. His injuries are not considered life threatening.

Detectives from Campsie Police Area Command are investigating.

Earlier in the day, police busted a motorist heading to the city with almost 40 bags of cocaine after he was pulled over at a random testing station.

Police said the man was stopped on Heffron Rad in Pagewood at about 2pm. He was arrested

after allegedly returning a positive roadside reading for cocaine and taken for secondary testing in the on-site bus.

Officers also searched his vehicle and discovered 37 bags of cocaine, weighing 27.39g, and cash, allegedly hidden in a compartment. The estimated potential street value of the drugs is $10,000.

The 21-year-old man was charged with supply prohibited drug, possess prohibited drug and goods in custody.

He was refused bail to appear in Downing Centre Local Court on Friday, January 24, 2020.

Source

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here